Friday, January 6, 2012

The Ordinary

In my free time...wait stop right there.  What’s that?!  In reality it‘s the time I make time for when I‘m avoiding what needs to be done around here or the time that occurs after Justin has fallen asleep, but I drank too much coffee at 9pm and can't do the same.  But back to what I was saying, in my "free time" I Facebook stalk. There. I said it.  I confessed that I love wasting time on Facebook.  I like looking at pictures, reading posts, reading posted articles, reading links to blogs, the list goes on.  Justin laughs at me, but I like how mindless it is. So anyways, I was avoiding finishing a cake this afternoon - i.e. Facebook stalking - and I stumbled upon the blog Momastery  and this post in particular Don't Carpe Diem. And I realized something. I tend to blog about the really good things and days we have. Every once in a while I blog about the crazy rough days, but I think for the most part I try to put up that front that we have it all together here at the Loda house.


We.
Do.
Not.

At all.

Not even close.

Therefore, in an effort to be more transparent and real, I would like to blog more about the ordinary days. Most days are ordinary days. And in light of a "Simplicity Parenting" point - the ordinary days are what make the extraordinary days special.  (Sorry, don't know the exact quote and I'm too lazy to go get the book and look it up.)

So, you ask, what does ordinary look like around here?

It looks like every piece of Tupperware and every pot and pan scattered across the kitchen just so I can make an elaborate lunch of grilled cheese because for yet another week I forgot to buy the damn lunch meat and we are stuck with just a big block of cheese and no meat to go with it.  It looks like my one year old pulling as much toilet paper as possible off the roll in the short amount of time it takes me to wash my hands. It looks like a two year old that refused to leave his diaper on and insists on wearing "unda-pants" even though he can't seem to get the whole timing of telling me when he needs to pee down (he announces it as it's running down his legs...despite my constant asking and attempts to get him to "just try" a mere two minutes beforehand).  And then after he's peed everywhere he wants to "try", all while his sister is doing all she can to get her hands in the toilet.  It looks like Cheerios all over my kitchen floor, dining room floor, and living room floor despite my best efforts to keep all food at the table only.  It looks like bumps, bruises, falls, and smashed fingers.  It looks like markers all over a two year old's legs, because obviously that is a good place to color (thank God it wasn't the furniture or walls - at least legs are easier to wash off).  It looks like green and orange Play-doh in smashed in the carpet.  It looks like a screaming two year old because his one year old sister won't stop knocking over his block tower, picking up and throwing his train track, or trying to eat his crayons.  It looks like dog hair all over the floor, couches, and our clothes.  It looks like a two year old in his firetruck pjs all day because this mama just doesn't feel like it's worth the fight.  It looks like never getting dressed beyond yoga pants and a t-shirt.  It looks like a growing list of errands because it's just too much work to get myself and two toddlers dressed and out of the house.  It looks like beautiful, crazy, out of control, perfect chaos.

Oh and that was just today. 

Yeup, we have a wild little family and life.  We try to create a calm and simple lifestyle, but I'm hoping the fruit of that is in the labor.  We try.  We don't really achieve it.  But we try for it everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment