Monday, June 18, 2012

Learning to be satisfied

It's been a very long road for me to get to this point - the point of being satisfied with what I have, exactly the way it is.  Some parts were easier that others.  But tonight I realized for the first time in my entire life I am completely satisfied with our beautiful, insane life EXACTLY the way it is.  Satisfied with two kids, not the four I originally thought I wanted (and I'm thankful the good Lord above knew there was no way in the world I could have ever handled that many children).  Satisfied with this house, just the way it is - small kitchen, funky small bathrooms, and all it's other perfect imperfections.  Satisfied with not making much money making excessive number of cakes, because making money takes time and right now my time is dedicated to my family (and what was I really spending that money on anyways?).  Satisfied with old, 100% paid for up-front cars.  Satisfied with being here, in Newport News for at least three to four more years.

And lastly, satisfied with keeping our ugly old carpet in the living and dining rooms.  Justin and I considered tearing them out this weekend.  His parents will have the kids for a very long weekend so that we can have time to ourselves to celebrate our anniversary.  Ultimately, it came down to the fact that we want time together to relax and enjoy each other FAR more than we want hardwood floors. 

I sure am married to the most wonderful man in the world, for me anyways.  He wants time with me more than anything else.  And I excitedly accept.

(Sure, we have dreams of someday living on a farm on the side of a mountain with lots of land, chickens running in the yard, and the biggest garden possible.  But we've learned that dreams are goals, and they are good to have.  But they are simply goals and they do not take away from enjoying this life, right here, right now.)

2 comments:

  1. Good comments. Sounds like you are at peace with yourself. One note on the carpet. Riping out the carpet really is an excellent idea. It will cut down on allergies and swiffer wiping the floor is a whole lot faster than vacumming. Wet swiffers clean up messes really well. Love you all, have a great anniversary weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily you sound so happy and like you've truly chosen to be this happy. It's inspirational. I'm smiling just thinking about it! Hope you and Justin have a wonderful weekend together!!

    ReplyDelete