Monday, May 7, 2012

The (hopeful) beginnings of two green thumbs!

We have most of our gardening spaces established for this summer!  We moved the main garden to a sunnier location and made it a raised bed.  We added a kitchen herb garden near the deck/back door. 

I may be jinxing us by saying this, but so far everything is growing well and I think this might be our first fruitful year!  In the past we have only been able to harvest hot peppers and frankly, what do you do with 50 habanero peppers?  I think they only survived because no animals wanted to eat them.

In the next month we will add a pumpkin patch (somewhere, who knows where yet).  I don't think this will be a raised bed though.  We have also played with the idea of adding blackberry and blueberry bushes, but we may have missed the window for doing that this year.


 The herb garden - thyme, sage, rosemary (two varieties, I think), chives, parsley, peppermint, oregano, and lavender.  Basil is in a planter on the deck, as is a second lavender, and what is left of our lettuce crop for the spring.

 The garden - corn (two rows, started at different times to allow a longer harvest season), tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, snow peas, and a few flowers thrown in (sunflowers in back, zinnias and marigolds between rows).

My hardworking men.  Nobody got a picture of it, but Summerlin helped me do the first half of the yard.  She rode on my back in the Ergo while I mowed.  Everything is a team effort around here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment