Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Home Tour - Our Living Room

I am so behind on all the many wonderful things I would love to share with you.  We have been having a very lovely time in our new(ish) town - lots of long walks and explorations.  Between the new discoveries, I just haven't had the time to sit down and write about it.  I suppose in reality that means, we're busy living and loving life!

Another room in our apartment has reached completion - the living room!  I should add, for the most part, everything is complete, but I have a few projects left for the kitchen and our bedroom that keep me from sharing them quite yet.  The living room had been finished for awhile, but it was waiting for our new rug to arrive!  We came upon a little luck and a huge outpouring of generosity...and now we have the rug.  (Pardon the darkness of the photos - the living room is also the playroom.  It is only after night has fallen and the precious little one have been tucked into bed that it appears this tidy.)


Let me tell you, this rug has been dreamed about for at least five years now.  If I remember correctly, I have been lusting over an LL Bean braided wool rug for as long as we were in our old house, definitely for as long as we've been married.  I had visions of tearing out the carpet, refinishing the hardwood floors, and rolling one of these beauties out...but budget (and luck) never made that vision into reality.  When came our way that we could select one of these rugs for our new home, I knew exactly which one I wanted.  Funny thing is, I kind of forgot to consult with hubby first.  Normally, he could care less about such matters and I am accustomed to making color/paint/decorating choices on my own.  Besides, colors aren't his thing - he is color blind (truly color blind, not just making a joke on him).  Well, this rug is a more permanent fixture in our home for years to come than any wall color will ever be and it turns out he wanted a vote.  He was a bit surprised by my bold color choice - most of our home is more understated.  I've been purposefully keeping many things unpatterned and simple with the hopes of adding this big burst of color to our home eventually.  But thankfully, he trusts my choice and he agrees that is looks comfortable and welcoming in our living room, now that it's here.  And the kids absolutely adore it.

So, without further ado, here is the rest of the living room.


The $5 chicken feeder lamp found a lampshade and made a permanent home in our living room - it is an excellent reading light. 
 
This hand stitched little beauty was found at a yardsale for only $1!

Blocks, blocks, and lots of blocks.

Toy shelf - we found this at a moving sale the Monday after we moved in.  The Bolga basket is home to our playsilks.

The barn has been expanded to include this wooden CD case (also found for $1 at the moving sale).  I had a slightly different vision of it's purpose, but Mannchen had other ideas.


The whole play area of the room.
 
I didn't get a good picture of the other wall of the room, but it houses a small bookshelf.  We are hoping to find or build a larger one before long.  Our book collection has already outgrown the spaces we have.

So there you have it, our new living room space!  We're ready now, come on over for a cup of coffee and a playdate!


No comments:

Post a Comment