Sunday, February 24, 2013

So long Facebook

Ah, Facebook...

The greatest website for wasting time.  Don't get me wrong, I love FB.  Problem really is, I love it too much.  I love looking at pictures, being nosy, and feeling easily "connected" to people. 

Last week I gave up FB for the entire week.  After the first day I forgot about it almost completely...honestly.  I felt more free and I had so much more time to do other things I love doing - crafting, reading, truly connecting with my husband.  I wish I was a person that could just click on for a few minutes every few days and then sign off.  But I'm not.  I easily spent at least an hour of my day scrolling through all the posts and pictures...and that's after I purged from 600+ friends down to less than 100.  Ugh.  That's kind of pathetic to admit that I easily wasted that much time each day. 

There are merits to FB.  I can easily share photos and funny happenings.  I can stay in touch with friends that live far away.  I can share in the joys of my friends/family and offer support in the times of need. 

The problem I have with it is to a degree it started to feel superficial to me.  It started to feel like a way to keep in touch with others without having to ever actually talk to them.  I'm not connecting with other people on a truly deep level of communication.  I just know what others are up to based on what they post.  After various events over the past several months, I find myself longing for so much more than that.  I would rather have fewer, but deeper relationships with others.  I would rather clear out some of the static noise in my life to make room for the things that really matter.

Another reason I have decided to go FB free is we now have our own home computer again.  I feel I will be too tempted to stick my nose in screen and lose some of the precious time I have with my children.  I should have more resolve and be able to avoid that temptation, but I don't I also know myself better than that.

One of the biggest reasons I have decided to leave FB is Hubby let me know how much it bothers him at times that I would rather spend an evening online instead of having true connection with him.  I love that my husband craves such quality time together and between his job and school right now, that time is limited.  I am so thankful that he could share with me how deep that need is for him and I am now able to take steps to fulfill that need for him.  No website should ever hinder my ability to connect with my husband on a regular basis.

So, if you would like to stay in touch via the blog, look on the right side of the screen for where you can subscribe by email.  Every time I post, you will receive an email.  I know we have a lot of family spread out all over the country that will enjoy still being able to see and hear about the kids.  I will not be able to completely delete my FB account, due to my business page which is linked to my personal account.  You can send me messages that way or email me.  For all the friends I've kept in touch with more easily due to FB, make sure I get your email addresses and phone numbers.  I would love to still share new articles and keep in touch.  My hope in our friendships will grow deeper, not fade away.

2 comments:

  1. I highly commend this action, Emily, and think that it takes guts, hope and a strong sense of self. Your reasoning is so sound that I am tempted to follow suit...I find myself feeling guilty and down that I waste so much time with FB. I feel I need to stay because I am involved in several private groups that I do really enjoy and get good info from and for connections with people who are far away. I will enjoy keeping up with you through your blog and hope that our relationship grows deeper with more kid-oriented get-togethers, book group, etc. Onward!!!

    ReplyDelete